Pages

Saturday, September 17, 2011

The importance of mental training.

On the way back from FNQ I bought the latest edition of 220 Triathlon. Not my usual tri mag, as I subscribe to Triathlon & Multi Sport, but it was seriously the best $12.95 I've spent in a long time!

I now realise I've spent the last few years of my life thinking it was just me that found swimming/running/cycling (and in particular running..), hard, painful and challenging. The good news, and what I've just learnt is, that apparently even the pros feel the same! And the even better news is that it's really just all about the psychological strategies that you put into play to help you through the session or event. 

- Chrissie Wellington breaks down her marathon into "4x10km with a little bit more". She also writes her mantras on her water bottle for the ride- what a brilliant idea!
- Similarly, Miles Stuart uses markers on the course and tells himself he can stop at the next one.. only to choose the next marker before he gets there!
- Paula Radcliffe counts every footfall from 1 to 100 then starts again.
- Catriona Morrison (World Duathlon Champion 2010) counts her breathing in all sorts of patterns and catches the person in front by repeating the colour of their kit repeatedly until she does.
- Emma Snowsill runs with a small stick in each hand to relieve tension in her arms & shoulders.

The article, "Run Like a Pro", is definitely a keeper.  What's your favourite mental training tip?

I'm off to write on my water bottle for tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment